YEP 2020 seeks passionate and driven applicants open to mentorship and to developing lasting relationships with industry leaders and other young professionals. The program is open to those between 21 and 32 years of age. A limited number of candidates will be selected for the program beginning in October 2019.
To apply, applicants must complete the application form and provide one recommendation from an employer or professional project supervisor if an independent. Applicants will be selected from a pool of all qualified applications by a jury of the HPA Women in Post, YEP and Mentorship Committees.
The deadline for applying is September 23, 2019. You will be notified by October 1, 2019 if you have been selected as a YEP.
The Young Entertainment Professionals (YEP) program nurtures the development of talent between the ages of 21–32 years old with mentoring and education, introductions to industry leaders, invitations to events, and access to resources that will further their careers. Through active participation in HPA and SMPTE, YEPs gain lifetime access to a community of peers and other professionals to help set the course of their careers in this industry.
YEPs have frequent opportunities to take center stage. YEPs have been seated on panels at the HPA Tech Retreat and at the SMPTE Annual Technical Conference, produced a webinar series, and contributed columns to the HPA NewsLine e-newsletter. Throughout the year, we strive to open a space for each YEP in the HPA to a lifetime of professional community, networking and friendship.
Incubated in 2016 by the Women in Post committee, YEP advances the organization’s goal of cultivating and encouraging the next generation of worthy entertainment professionals to follow a career in the media content industry whether creative, technical or project management/administrative.
Now in its 4th year, we have updated the YEP program to include two distinct sections. Section 1 will run for 5 months (October through February) beginning at the YEP orientation at the SMPTE Annual Technical Conference in Los Angeles through the end of the HPA Tech Retreat in Palm Desert. Attendance at the YEP orientation on October 23rd is mandatory along with one other event during the four-month period.
Section 2 of the YEP program will begin in March. Based on each individual’s participation and overall commitment to the program, the YEP class will be evaluated by the Mentorship committee for custom pairing with an Industry leader from late March to September in addition to receiving free or reduced fee access to YEP and other HPA Community events. At the end of the mentorship section, YEPs will be evaluated by the Mentorship committee for eligibility to receive the Certificate of Completion.
During the course of the Young Entertainment Professionals program, each YEP will receive the following:
- YEP orientation day/SMPTE ATC Floor Pass
- Entrance to the HPA Awards
- HPA Tech Retreat Conference Pass
- Annual Membership in the HPA
- YEP Roundtable Event
- Digital Certificate of Completion (based on Mentorship Committee Review)
- Discounts or free admission throughout the year to HPA NET, Women in Post, and YEP event
HPA YEP Class of 2020 Application Directions:
GENERAL CRITERIA for consideration for the HPA YEP Program and Mentor Pairing
- Currently working in the media content creation industry in a creative, technical or project management/administrative role
- Between 21 – 32 years of age as of October 23, 2019
- Recommendation from employer or professional media project supervisor
- MUST attend the full day YEP Day/Orientation on October 23 at the Annual SMPTE Technology Conference in Los Angeles and a minimum of one of the following events (admission included):
- HPA Awards 11/21 (admission included)
- YEP Roundtable event in Los Angeles (January TBD)
- At least one day at HPA Tech Retreat in Palm Desert from February 17 to 20 (travel/housing not included)
Before you begin the application form, please have the following documents or details ready:
- Your resume for upload
- Prepare to write a short 250 word or less essay on why you should be considered for the YEP program
- Provide 1 – 3 key accomplishments at a company or on professional project(s)
- Any additional supporting materials (this can include a link to video, webpage or a document to upload)
- Your reference contact information
- Letter of reference to upload – 500 words or less on why the nominee should be considered for the YEP mentoring program and on the key accomplishments of the nominee at your company or on your professional media project(s).
Once ready, please complete the online form and follow directions to upload documents.
If you are having technical difficulties, you can also email information to HPA.
Application Deadline: September 23, 2019.