Young Entertainment Professionals Class of 2021 Application
YEP 2021 seeks passionate and driven applicants open to mentorship and to developing lasting relationships with industry leaders and other young professionals. The program is open to applicants between 21 and 32 years of age. A limited number of candidates will be selected for the program beginning in January 2021.
To be considered for the YEP 2021 Class, please fill out the application form and provide one recommendation from an employer or professional project supervisor if an independent. YEPs will be selected from a pool of all qualified applications by a jury of the HPA Women in Post, YEP and Mentorship Committees.
The deadline for applying is October 12, 2020. You will be notified by Mid-November, 2020 if you have been selected as a YEP.
The Young Entertainment Professionals (YEP) program nurtures the development of talent between the ages of 21–32 years old with mentoring and education, introductions to industry leaders, invitations to events, and access to resources that will further their careers. Through active participation in HPA and SMPTE, YEPs gain lifetime access to a community of peers and other professionals to help set the course of their careers in this industry.
YEPs have frequent opportunities to take center stage. YEPs have been seated on panels at the HPA Tech Retreat and at the SMPTE Annual Technical Conference, produced a webinar series, and contributed columns to the HPA NewsLine e-newsletter. Throughout the year, we strive to open a space for each YEP in the HPA to a lifetime of professional community, networking and friendship. YEP Program participants will have access to a rich variety of in person and virtual events throughout the year.
Incubated in 2015 by the Women in Post committee, YEP advances the organization’s goal of cultivating and encouraging the next generation of worthy entertainment professionals to follow a career in the media content industry whether creative, technical or project management/administrative.
Now in its 5th year, we have updated the YEP program to include two distinct sections. Section 1 will run for 5 months (January through May) beginning with the YEP orientation day. Attendance at the YEP Orientation Program is mandatory along with participation in at least one other major event (i.e. HPA Tech Retreat). In addition, YEP’s are expected to attend at least four virtual events or casual meet-ups during the full year program.
Section 2 of the YEP program will begin in May. Based on each individual’s participation and overall commitment to the program, the YEP class will be evaluated by the Mentorship committee for custom pairing with an Industry leader from late May to December, in addition to receiving free or reduced fee access to YEP and other HPA Community events. At the end of the mentorship section, YEPs will be evaluated by the Mentorship committee for eligibility to receive the Certificate of Completion.
During the Young Entertainment Professionals program, each YEP will receive access to the following:
- SMPTE Virtual Technical Conference Pass – November 9-12, 2020
- YEP Orientation Program
- Annual Membership in HPA
- Annual Membership in SMPTE
- Entrance to the HPA Awards
- YEP Roundtable mentor Event
- HPA Tech Retreat Conference Pass
- SMPTE Technical Conference Floor Pass – October 2021
- Periodic in-person or virtual YEP events (to include coffee meet-ups, vendor fieldtrips, virtual office hours, online mentor Q&A sessions)
- Access to HPA’s virtual event series and members only content library
- Discounts or free admission throughout the year to HPA NET, Women in Post, and YEP live and virtual events
- Digital Certificate of Completion (based on Mentorship Committee Review)
HPA YEP Class of 2021 Application Directions:
GENERAL CRITERIA for consideration for the HPA YEP Program and Mentor Pairing
- Currently working in the media content creation industry in a creative, technical or project management/administrative role
- Between 21 – 32 years of age as of December 31, 2020
- Recommendation from employer or professional media project supervisor
- MUST attend the YEP Orientation Program, date(s) TBD and a minimum of one of the following events (admission included):
- HPA Awards 2021
- YEP Roundtable event in Los Angeles (date TBD)
- One day at HPA Tech Retreat (date TBD) (travel/housing not included)
- In addition, YEPs must attend at least 4 virtual events during the year
- YEP Virtual Event (Virtual Office Hours, Meet-up, Mentor Q&A etc.)
- NET, WiP or IMF User Group virtual events
- If you are in final consideration for a spot in the YEP program, you may be contacted for a short interview.
Before you begin the application form, please have the following documents or details ready:
- Your resume for upload
- Prepare to write a short 250 word or less essay on why you should be considered for the YEP program
- Provide 1 – 3 key accomplishments at a company or on professional project(s)
- Any additional supporting materials (video reels/portfolios/past works that can include a link to a webpage or a document to upload)
- Your reference contact information
- Letter of reference to upload – 500 words or less on why the nominee should be considered for the YEP mentoring program and on the key accomplishments of the nominee at your company or on your professional media project(s).
Once ready, please complete the online form and follow directions to upload documents.
If you are having technical difficulties, you can also email information to HPA.
Application Deadline: October 12, 2020.