HPA Awards Announces New Categories for Documentary Nonfiction and Special Award for Achievement in Restoration
Creative Categories Call for Entries Opens Today
The 2022 Hollywood Professional Association (HPA®) Awards call for entries for creative categories opened today with dedicated categories for color grading, editing, and sound in documentary nonfiction. Submissions will be accepted until July 29.
The only awards event encompassing the incredible breadth of talent behind the beauty and spectacle of media and entertainment, the HPA Awards are approaching two decades of recognition as the standard bearer for artistry behind the screen. This year, outstanding work in color grading, editing, and sound in documentary nonfiction (both features and episodic) will be recognized in its own categories, joining color grading, editing, sound, and visual effects in feature film, episodic, and commercials. Judged by experts and artists at the top of their careers, the HPA Awards commend the most compelling and important work from around the world.
The HPA Awards will return to the Hollywood Legion Theatre on November 17. Details for the event will be revealed in coming weeks.
To be considered eligible, work must have debuted domestically and/or internationally during the eligibility period, September 8, 2021 through September 6, 2022. Membership in the Hollywood Professional Association is not required, and work from outside of the United States is encouraged.
Submissions are now being accepted in the following competitive categories:
- Outstanding Color Grading – Theatrical Feature
- Outstanding Color Grading – Episode or Non-Theatrical Feature
- Outstanding Color Grading – Documentary/Nonfiction
- Outstanding Color Grading – Commercial
- Outstanding Editing – Theatrical Feature
- Outstanding Editing: Documentary/Nonfiction – Theatrical Feature
- Outstanding Editing – Episode or Non-Theatrical Feature (30 Minutes and Under)
- Outstanding Editing – Episode or Non-Theatrical Feature (Over 30 minutes)
- Outstanding Editing: Documentary/Nonfiction – Episode or Non-Theatrical Feature
- Outstanding Sound (Design, Editing, Mixing) – Theatrical Feature
- Outstanding Sound (Design, Editing, Mixing) – Episode or Non-Theatrical Feature
- Outstanding Sound (Design, Editing, Mixing) – Documentary/Nonfiction
- Outstanding Visual Effects – Theatrical or Non-Theatrical Feature
- Outstanding Visual Effects – Episode or Series Season
- Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects – Episode or Series Season
This year, the HPA Awards will also honor restoration with the new award for Outstanding Achievement in Restoration, a juried honor which draws attention to work from our industry that preserves our cultural heritage and enlivens our experience.
Seth Hallen, HPA President and a founding member of the HPA Awards Committee, said: “As the HPA Awards have matured, we have seen the need to differentiate documentary nonfiction work from scripted. These new categories are in direct response to a significant industry trend, but also to our audience of creatives, who have submitted and promoted this category over the years. At the same time, we see such tremendous work being done in the field of restoration and preservation, and the value of that work to our industry is undeniable. It’s thrilling to announce these additional awards as we open the call for entries for creative categories for the 2022 HPA Awards. This year, as we continue to return to in-person celebration, I look forward to being together again to honor, connect, and enjoy a spectacular event.”
The call for entries for the HPA Engineering Excellence Award, honoring products and processes representing outstanding technical and creative ingenuity in media, content production, finishing, distribution, and archive, opened last month and submissions will be accepted until June 24, 2022. The HPA Judges Award for Creativity and Innovation, a juried award, will be announced in advance of the gala. Both special awards, as well as the new award for Outstanding Achievement in Restoration, will be bestowed during the HPA Awards gala.
The HPA Awards are made possible through the generous sponsorship of Awards Diamond Title Sponsor Blackmagic Design, sound category sponsor DTS, cocktail reception sponsors Fuse FX and ZEISS, and supporting sponsors Avid and Sohonet. For sponsorship or program advertising opportunities, contact Joyce Cataldo at email@example.com.
Complete rules, guidelines and entry information for the creative categories and all of the HPA Awards, as well as a list of previous winners, are available at hpaonline.com.